Wednesday, March 9, 2011

FIRST BLOG

This is my first blog so I don't know if there is some type of protocol to this.  Am I supposed to introduce myself or just start "blogging".  I don't really have the motivation to ask someone so I am just going to do what I think is best.

First, the purpose of me even starting this is because I just want to express myself.  Is it kind of narcissistic of me to think someone would want to even read what I want to express, maybe... but I am willing to take that.  Is this risky?  Absolutely!  That's why I am doing it.  Will this help some folks?  We shall see.  So, I am taking the blogging plunge and I'll see how wet I really get.  :-)

Now, let me give a small intro to me and give a snippet as to what I will be utilizing this blog for.  My is Neal.  I am married with kids.  Some of you already know that.  What you might not know is that I consider myself to be a christian.  (I am not sure if that lack of knowledge about me is good or not, but it's out there now.)  So, this blog will be mostly dedicated to expressions of me that deal with being a christian.  Now,  don't get it twisted...  if you expect me to say a bunch of thee's and thou's and who begat who... NOT on this blog.  What you will see are expressions that will hopefully open your eyes more.  You may find some things that some christians might call epiphanies or revelations (you didn't know I knew that word, huh).  You may find things that I have learned over my long 37 years of life.  All of it for the purpose of opening your eyes and maybe challenging you to rethink, regroup, or reorganize what you thought you knew.  I will forewarn you... I am educated but I do use slang terminologies.  I have been known to say what people are thinking but are afraid to say it.  I will however, NEVER intentionally express something to harm, offend, or divide.  So, here we go.  Hope you like, and of course, comments are welcome.


FIRST BLOG

I have had a number of folks both christian and non-christian say things like this to me, "I am tired of church.  I don't ever want to go back.  Church folks suck.  They are hypocrites.  They say one thing and do another."  Even these same people may have a genuine love for God, these statements are the foundation for them to never want to step foot into a church again.  In other words, they love Jesus, but they hate His fan club (Rick Godwin quote).  I have had a number of experiences with Jesus' fan club that have made me think some of these same things.  Yet, here's where I will challenge them (and you if you are thinking the same way).  Allow me to share a story that you may be familiar with...

Noah was instructed by God to build an ark because He was going to destroy the world because of its rampant love for sin.  He told Noah that it would rain for 40 days and 40 nights.  Noah, of course, obeyed and built an ark.  He took himself, his family and 2 of every animal that existed into this ark.  Many of you know that story.  If you don't, it is the book of Genesis, chapter 6.  So, here's the scene.  You have a huge boat with only one window, covering them on all sides.  And they are sharing this space with every animal that there was.  And it is raining constantly for 40 days and nights, non-stop?   Can you see it?  Ok, here's my question...  where, during that storm, did those animals go to the bathroom?  Where did Noah and his family go to "relieve" themselves?

Well, the bible really doesn't answer that question for us but I think it is safe to say that even though they had one window, there was a LOT of "crap" inside that ark.  Here's my point. 

Though there was a LOT of crap on the inside of that ark, Noah and his family would much rather have been on the inside of the ark then the outside of it.  And just as churches today are littered with ugly, hypocritical, wack Jesus' fans who not only dish out a lot of crap but try to put it on you... I am telling you that it is safer to be inside the church (involved, connected, and getting fed) than it is outside of it.  It may not be literally raining like it did during Noah's experience but I promise you, the world will look to drown your dreams and to drench your potential ultimately in an attempt to destroy YOUR world.  Stay connected, stay involved, and stay within the community of the household of faith.  It IS, with all of its crap, the safest place in the world.

3 comments:

  1. I know SEVERAL people who stay away from church for this very reason. And this is a perfect analogy. Nicely put. I'm definitely going to have to reference this when speaking to those people. Looking forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm now i gotta make a real effort to find one. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great analogy brutha. So what are you going to call your church Rev. Neal? Ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete