Friday, March 11, 2011

Blog #2 - Church invitation

Apparently, I am not up to speed on the etiquette of blogging.  So, a partner of mine says, “blogging is a daily thing.  You’re supposed to do it every day.”  So, let me say this now… that ain’t happenin’ captain.  Having said that… here’s entry #2.

So, I was walking down the halls of my job when this guy invited me to his church where he was the pastor.  So I asked, “Wow!!!  How long have you been a pastor?”

He says, “About 40 years… so we’re pretty big.”

My response, “Man, that’s awesome.  Maybe I’ll come.  Can I bring my family?”

He says, “Absolutely!  But I should forewarn you.  There’s some things that you will hear about me that may not sit well with you.”

My response, “Ok, what do you mean?”

He says, “Well, when I didn’t have any money, I used to eat communion bread for food.  You know my fellow pastor friends tell me that I should not have done that because communion bread is “holy”.  But I was really hungry.”

My response, “I mean, if you were hungry, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?”

He says, “Well, there’s something else… I did commit adultery back in the day.”

My response, “Well, we’ve all made mistakes.  Nobody’s perfect.”

He says, “Weeelllll, there is one more thing… I also killed someone before… though I wasn’t convicted or anything.”

My response, “Uhhhhh???  Oooookkkkaaayyyy?!?!”

He says, “Well, I hope this does not hinder you from coming.  I would really, REALLY like to see you next Sunday.

Now, when you read this, your response may be, “this is a no-brainer… I ain’t never steppin’ foot in this dude’s church.  Man, I think I might need to call the police on this dude.”

Well, did you know if that was your response, you just refused to go to David’s church (yeah, the one from the story of David and Goliath).  Yeah, I know the story is corny.  And yeah, I know in this day and time, that conversation may not happen.  But what am I trying to get through to you to open your eyes?  Some of you have dealt with similar accusations like David did.  Some of you have even committed adultery and committed crimes (whether punished or unpunished).  But that don’t matter.  Be like David.  David was a man after God’s heart (1 Samuel 13:14) because he recognized that his actions both past and present do not and will not ever define him.  Only the love of God can define him.  The love of God obliterates every superficial, ate-up, wack definition or description any man can put on you.  A man after God’s own heart is only one way God defined David. 

So, if your history is anything like David’s, do a compare/contrast.  How do you define yourself vs how does God define you? 

Here’s where the confusion stops... God’s right, we’re wrong. 

Enough said.

1 comment: