Friday, March 18, 2011

"CHECK YO SELF BEFORE YOU RICKETY-RECK YO SELF"

I'm an 80's and 90's hip-hop dude.  So, if you are in my age bracket, you may recognize my title here.  Big-ups to Ice Cube, one of the true hip-hop pioneers.  Now, to my not-so-daily entry into the blog-esphere.  This one can be considered my first epiphany that I will share. 

When Cube (and DAS Efx) coined this song, they were forewarning people about their attitudes before they step up to them.  So, here's a question, what is your attitude like?  Does life and circumstances control your attitude?  Did you know that there are certain attitudes and life circumstances that can actually put you in direct alignment with God to be blessed.  You don't believe me huh?  Watch this.  Let's go around the block for a minute.

When you are on an airplane, you know that there is a pilot and a co-pilot.  The pilot's job is to fly the plane and ensure it doesn't run into anything.  The co-pilot's job is to monitor the instruments and panels to the same end.  Now, when the plane is about to land, the co-pilot will ensure (utilizing those instruments and panels) that the plane is direct alignment with the landing strip for a safe landing. 

Now, Jesus taught a great lesson in the book of Matthew, chapter 5 as part of the infamous Sermon on the Mount.  Smart Jesus fans have coined this lesson the Beatitudes.  You may have seen these or were taught these at some point in time.  They start with the words "blessed is the guy who does this or that..."  The word blessed, when broken down, is actually defined as "in direct alignment with God". Similar to the plane scenario, with you as the pilot of your life and God as the ultimate co-pilot, let's take some of the beatitudes with this definition of blessed and we get a detailed road map to life with the circumstances and attitudes that come along with it.

Blessed are the humble for theirs is the kingdom of God.  So, if I have an attitude of humility, I'm in direct alignment with God.  And my blessing is the kingdom of God. (Matthew 5:3&5)  I like that.  Let's look at another one.

Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.  So, in a time of mourning whether from the death of a loved one, or just a time of being sad or depressed, I'm in direct alignment with God.  AND my blessing is I will be comforted. (Matthew 5:4)  That goes against what religious folk will tell you by the way... Christians should never be depressed.  You're not a real christian if you are sad.  Jesus, Himself, just told me that when I am down, He's right there to comfort me.  Thanks Rev. Scrappy.  This is proof that you really did suck.

Last one... Blessed are they who are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  So, when I choose to do the right thing and folks diss me or try to destroy my rep, I'm in direct alignment with God?  Man, Rev. Scappy really sucked.  I don't know about you but I was NEVER taught that. It's time to open eyes folks. 

I won't do every beatitude but if you ever decide to read the bible, and you see the word "blessed", I would encourage you to input that definition.  It would be a good way to check yo self.

1 comment:

  1. Great read Bro Neal!!!!! I'm off to go check myself!! :))
    Rev. McKinley

    ReplyDelete