Monday, April 4, 2011

Easter Blog

With the Easter holiday coming soon, I felt like it was a good time to give you all the not-so-daily blog entry.  Many of you have begun this Lent season by giving up something, others of you have intentions of going to church on Easter to spend with family and friends.  The Easter service is infamous for being crowded with folks who have not seen a church in 364 days and people who are dressed for the catwalk,  It is also famous for the preaching of the "Seven Last Sayings of Jesus" (before He died on the cross).  I think in my lifetime, I have heard this sermon series preached so many times, I wonder what else can be said from it.  In case you didn't know, the seven last sayings are these:
  1. Father forgive them, for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34)
  2. Today you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43)
  3. Behold your son: behold your mother (John 19:26&27)
  4. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me (Matthew 27:46)
  5. I thirst (John 19:28)
  6. It is finished (John 19:30)
  7. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit (Luke 23:46)
Now, these are some really powerful words coming from Jesus as He was dying on the cross.  But, I am going to take a different stance on the Easter message and ask you to focus on something and someone else.  When Jesus said, "Behold your son, behold your mother", he was talking to Mary, his birth mother, and John, one of his disciples.  Now, allow me to set up the scene here.  Jesus is on the cross, dying of asphyxiation, nails driven through his hands and feet, bleeding from his torso... and just when I think He is in a situation where He can finally be selfish and focus on Himself, He focuses on his mother, Mary and John. 

Lesson#1 - Even in the worst of times, Jesus' love has Him focusing on the needs of others.  How much more is He willing to focus on your needs?  I dare you to try Him out.  Believe me He won't disappoint. 

Now, continuing in setting up the scene.  Jesus is the worst shape of his life and about to die.  But let's look at a previous verse before Jesus spoke.  Look at this verse:

John19:25a
Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, Mary..."

Now I highlight this verse because there was something wrong here.  When I was young, I watched the movies made about Jesus life.  I remember the scene.  Jesus was on the cross and in the foreground was his mother, bellowing at the top of her lungs because she couldn't stand to see Jesus hanging there on the cross.  I remember that scene very vividly.  But wait a minute, that ain't what the above verse says.  It says, "Now there STOOD Mary..."  Hold on, you mean to tell me that in the midst of the most heinous scene of her life, to watch the person that she gave birth to, the person whose diapers she changed, the person she worked to feed and clothe, to watch the man she has grown to love not only as a son but as the savior of the world, to watch Him die... Mary was standing?  One word = WOW!!!  What's the lesson?

Lesson #2 - In the midst of the most difficult time in her life, Mary had the strength, the wherewithal, the fortitude to STAND.  I am reminded of a verse where Paul said (Ephesians 6:13&14), "having done all [the crisis demands], to stand [firmly in your place]. Stand therefore [and hold your ground]..."  To you who is reading this entry, allow me to encourage you.  You may be in the worst of times in your life.  You may have lost a loved one.  You may be in the most debt you've ever been in.  You may be depressed and just want to give up.  I beg you, I implore you, I ask you... Look to Mary as an example and STAND... STAND... STAND!!!  You CAN make it.  You CAN defeat your situation.  Your destiny is not that far off.  You've run this long and it would be a shame to throw in the towel.  A wise man once said, "For a righteous man falls seven times and rises again..."  That man is not righteous or just or anything because he fell, he is those things because he got up again.  Right now, you may be knocked down but you ain't knocked out... how do I know that because you are reading this. 

GET UP, RISE UP, STAND UP!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment